by Mark Tassi

One of the main complaints that people seem to have on a high fruit diet is problems with teeth. I’ve heard people say that the reason is because of sugar, but in my experience, the reason for this problem is acid, acid particularly from unripe fruit, more especially, unripe acid fruit. By acid fruit, I am referring to citrus, pineapples, kiwis, tomatoes and the like.

Let us not forget that the fruit of the plant is the reproductive aspect of that plant, in other words, the seed pod. The seeds of the pod are not ready to reproduce until the fruit is ripe. At the fully ripened stage, the fruit is either eaten or drops from the tree on its own. Nature, in its brilliance, must protect the seed pod or the fruit on the tree until it is ready and does so by a concentration of an acid called salicylic acid which is in high concentration in unripe fruit. No animal in the wild would ever eat a fruit in this state, but man in his insistence on breaking every natural law, does so on a regular basis. I have yet to meet a person, without considerable experience on the high fruit lifestyle, who knows what ripe fruit is and when and how to eat it.

When fruit is left to ripen on the tree, the concentration of salicylic acid is low. Fruit that is picked before it is ripe, as with most store bought fruit, even if allowed to ripen off the tree contains a concentration of this acid which is still higher than normal. Sweet fruit, like bananas, have very little acid, but acid and sub-acid fruits are fairly high.

It is important to note that salicylic acid has a ph of 2.4. Soft drinks and commercial sodas have a ph of 2.5, making salicylic acid quite strong.

Personally, I had a considerable amount of dental problems a few years ago. I was eating a lot of acid fruit, often most of my calories would come from acid fruit, but what is more, I was eating a lot of it unripe. I was picking Valencia oranges, a summer fruit, far too early in the season and eating it. I was also eating a lot of pineapples, which even if are able to be obtained ripe outside of the tropics where they are native, are still picked early.

These days, all of my fruit, including acid fruit like citrus are eaten ripe and with living in Southern California are usually tree ripened. Tomatoes are bought at the farm that have been vine ripened. Pineapples, as much as I enjoy them, have been eliminated since they are never picked ripe when shipped and are difficult to ripen. Imported pineapples seem to retain the most acid of fruits that I have encountered as evidenced by the burning sensation in the mouth after eating. I am now also relying on bananas for a good portion of my calories which as mentioned previously, while being high in sugar, are low in acid.

After implementing these simple precautions and procedures, I am happy to report that I have not had a single incidence with dental issues for nearly 3 years!

In the earlier days of implementing these precautions, I would faithfully swish my mouth with water or a solution of baking soda and water after eating. These days, I find that it is not even necessary to do that, but as a precaution in the present days of the supermarket vs. the rainforest, it is probably not a bad idea. I will say that when I was swishing with the baking soda solution on a regular basis, my plaque level on visits to the dentist was next to zero. Having said that, there still isn’t much plaque accumulating on the teeth with a diet of fruits and shoots, but baking soda seems to have the ability of lifting stains from a surface.

I have also heard it theorized that a diet of fruits and vegetables is devoid of necessary nutrients thereby causing ill dental health. From my experience, I have found nothing to be further from the truth. A diet of fruits and vegetables is the most nutrient dense diet on the planet.

From my experience, dental issues while on a diet high in fruits are the result of the regular consumption of immature or unripe fruit or and including fruit which has been picked too soon.

To your health,